Cynthia Holmes is an attorney in St. Louis, Missouri.
She is an active leader with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty and Americans United for Separation of Church & State, and serves on the governing boards of Good Faith Media, Missouri Jobs With Justice: Workers’ Rights Steering Committee and the Great Rivers Environmental Law Center.
- What story, verse or passage from your faith tradition’s sacred texts has significantly influenced / shaped your life?
Matthew 25: 34-40: loving God by caring for others.
- Who are three people (other than your family) who have shaped your life and worldview? And why?
President Kennedy inspired me to politics and public service. Back in the day when we blissfully didn’t know all the details of politicians’ personal lives, I decided to be a lawyer and U.S. Senator, so one out of two isn’t bad.
Verna Smith was my middle school English teacher who encouraged us to follow our dreams. She managed to arrange for me and my best friend to skip school to go see President Johnson in St. Louis, even when it meant missing her class.
James M. Dunn was never afraid to speak truth to power. He fought for true religious freedom, following your beliefs without government interference or favoritism. I carry on his fight today because religious liberty has now been hijacked by those for whom it means government sanctioned privilege to impose their religious beliefs on others and discriminate against people who do not share them.
- List three of your “desert island” books, movies or TV shows.
“Profiles in Courage” by John F. Kennedy, “Casablanca” and “Frasier.”
- What is one of the most critical issues people are facing today?
Too many people are willing to believe crazy conspiracies that reinforce their prejudice and hatred of those who are different and operate under a constant sense of grievance because they can’t always have what they want when they want it.
- What are a few of your hobbies?
Running, reading, travel and play with husband and dog, and currently zooming with friends and family!
- If you could freeze your life into an already-lived 10 seconds, what would they be?
Christmas dinner any year with family.
- Our tagline at Good Faith Media is, “There’s more to tell.” What’s your “more to tell”?
I have a long way to go to model number one, above
Reflection and resources at the intersection of faith and culture through an inclusive Christian lens.